Tuesday, January 2, 2007

One Year, One Million Pounds

Do you lift weights?

Have you ever wondered how much weight you lift in total?

Could you lift one million pounds in one year?

As I start a new year and made my first visit to the gym today, I asked myself this question, "I wonder how much weight I could lift in an entire year?"

I have always tracked my workouts in a notebook and so I decided that I would try and create a blog to track my exercising this year (2007) and set myself a challenge: one year, one million pounds.

I'm not sure if that is even a reasonable goal for a year. I did do the math, and if I worked out 5 days a week, and lifted on average about 10,000 pounds per day, it would come 2.6 million pounds. So, I'm figuring that I could possibly do 1 million pounds this year without too much problem. The trick will be staying consistent with my workouts.

I notate my workouts by listing Weight x Reps, sets separated by commas (ie. 20x10 = 20 pounds at 10 reps). If on a dumbbell exercise I do a different amount of reps between my two arms, I will notate the reps with an L for left arm and R for right arm after each rep number (ie. 30x5L6R = 30 pounds at 5 reps left arm, 6 reps right arm). If a workout uses dumbbells, the weight listed is for what I am holding in 1 arm. The total I add up will be for the entire weight lifted during the exercise from each arm combined.

Okay, so there's the deal.

Let's get it started.

No comments: